MTR is generous enough to provide free ride for children to travel to Shenzhen this summer. But such promotion has been abused by young smugglers, according to North District Parallel Imports Concern Group
The group has witnessed children entering the gate with bulky luggage after verified their Octopus card. They smuggle goods in round trips manner to maximize their profits.
The step on reducing the smuggling cost is very simple:
- Verify the Child Octopus card to get a free ride to Lo Wu at the Customer Service.
- Enter the gate with that card. The more trips you make, the more profit you take.
Shareholders should question the management board their real intention on having such a promotion, and passengers should question why the company keeps increasing ticket fare.
We simply quote the terms and conditions from the MTR page:
From 1 July to 31 August, children can get a free MTR ride to or from Shenzhen via Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations by presenting their valid Child Octopus at the Customer Service Centre at MTR stations before entering the gate.
- From 1 July to 31 August 2014, children aged 3 to 11 using Child Octopus are entitled to unlimited free travel on the MTR to or from Shenzhen via Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations.
- To redeem this offer, passengers must present a valid Child Octopus at the Customer Service Centre at MTR stations (except Airport Express and Light Rail) every time before entering the gate. The free journey must be made immediately after redemption. The offer will not be reissued under any circumstances.
- For a journey from Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations to any stations with interchange at Tsim Sha Tsui /East Tsim Sha Tsui stations, the free ride applies to the journey up to Tsim Sha Tsui / East Tsim Sha Tsui stations. However, this offer will be cancelled for journey going to Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations with interchange at Tsim Sha Tsui or East Tsim Sha Tsui stations.
- Passengers who have redeemed the offer and wish to enjoy East Rail Line’s First Class service must pay the First Class Premium.
- The free connection applies to interchanges from the designated MTR station to Light Rail, MTR Bus (Northwest New Territories) and MTR Feeder Bus (K12, K14, K17 and K18), except for K12 on Sundays and Public Holidays.
- MTR Corporation Limited reserves the right to alter or terminate the offer at any time.
- MTR Corporation Limited reserves the right to make the final decision in the event of any disputes.